6 Facts about Food waste
1) It’s estimated that 30 – 50% of food produced for human consumption is wasted globally every year.
2) The average family in Great Britain wastes nearly £60 a month by throwing away food, in some cases almost an entire meal a day. A family with children waste approximately £700 a year on unused food.
3) 18 – 20 million tones of food is wasted annually in the UK.
4) An estimated 20 to 40% of UK fruit and vegetables rejected even before they reach the shops – mostly because they do not match the supermarkets’ excessively strict cosmetic standards.
5) Most people will admit to cooking or preparing too much food which results in it being wasted. Careful planning would eliminate this risk.
6) The foods most commonly wasted are fresh produce such as vegetables and salad, and bakery products such as cakes and bread.